Saturday, March 6, 2010

Switching It Up



Image via vi.sualize



I'm very fortunate to have been asked to be in a Pilates workout DVD for my Pilates instructor Virginia Nicholas, owner of Moving Breath Pilates. After I agreed to take this on, my mind immediately went to the following places: 1. I need to start training and 2. What am I going to wear (of course!)?

I'm come from the school of "No pain, no gain" and "If you don't sweat it's not a workout" so I continued along this path as I attempted to "train" to be ready for this DVD, which is filming in 2 weeks btw...up until last Monday when I was scheduled to meet with Virginia to get some practice time in for the DVD. The day before, I was feeling particularly crappy and felt like I needed a good ass kicking, so I did Insanity. For those of you who have never heard of this workout, the name really says it all. Lots of plyometrics, lots of jumping and lots of squats. Just what you need to get your heart rate up and burn some calories.


Fast forward to the next day, I was a little tight and a little sore. Virginia picked up on this immediately and basically told me I need to stop doing the insane types of workouts and get my ass ready for this DVD.

I'm not the kind of person that was first in line when athletic talents were handed out. I have to work, really hard sometimes, to be able to do some things that come very naturally to others. Some exercises in Pilates, those of the jello hamstring variety do not come easily to me, and doing Insanity didn't help me that fateful day Virginia put me in my place. Of course I wanted to be ready for this DVD, I was just going about it the wrong way. duh.

So here I am, trying to figure out how to be as ready as possible, getting those hammies in Gumby shape for this DVD, without kicking my own ass working out everyday. What's a girl to do??? Looks like my once-to-twice a week workout of yoga and/or Pilates will be my go-to workouts for the next 2 weeks. Doesn't sound so bad right? I don't think so either.

After beating myself up (so to speak) on a daily basis doing P90X and Insanity, this yoga/Pilates/stretchy time hybrid will be a nice change.


Wish me luck! And now, what to wear...lululemon, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment